Development & Disease Research Group,
Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics,
Partner 6 is based in the Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics (MPIMG). The MPIMG belongs to one of the leading research institutions in Germany, the Max-Planck-Society (MPG). Around 82% of Max Planck Society expenditure is met by public funding from the Federal Government and the German States. The remaining 18% comes from donations, member’s contributions and from funded projects. The budget for 2006 is € 1.38 billion. The Max-Planck-Society maintains 78 institutes throughout Germany, which are dedicated to basic research. Max-Planck Institutes are national or European 'centres of excellence' in basic research employing approx. 12,400 people, among them about 4,300 scientists and scholars. The MPIMG has a leading position in genetic research in Germany and is part of a larger local genetic research network in Berlin. At present, some 300 scientist and technicians work at the institute. A major focus is on genomics, computational biology, human molecular genetics and developmental genetics. The Institute has state of the art equipment including a large sequencing facility and a new SPF standard mouse house.